Monday, 7 April 2014

A day at Grandma and Grandpa's



Today I went to Bristol to visit my Grandma and Grandpa. I read 'Swallows and Amazons' to Grandma. They told me about the Monastery at Fountains Abbey which was inhabited by Cistercian monks from 1132 AD. The monks had a very advanced waterworks system. They made beer using spring water from the nearby hills. When they went to the toilet the wooden lavatory bench was right over the river so all the dirty water was washed away downstream. This meant that the river was very dirty, smelly and polluted but downstream it soon became fairly clean and then further down became clean again. The plants and bacteria in the river cleaned the dirty water this is rather like what happens in a modern sewage works.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joseph! I remember reading Swallows and Amazons when I was a little girl. I loved reading that book - if I remember correctly, I think Grandpa gave it to me, or the copy of the book was his from when he was a boy. Gosh, I wouldn't want to be swimming in that dirty river, would you?!
    Loads of love
    Auntie Helen xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Father Christmas gave me my copy, no I wouldn't want to swim in the river either!!!!

      xxxxxx

      Delete